Sending an email can be a quick-but-effective method for letting community leaders know that you care about and are following an issue. To be most effective, ensure that your email is well-written, professional, respectful and concise.
It is important that community leaders receive different emails that reflect similar content instead of receiving the same email over and over again. We would invite you to personalize your message with persuasive arguments that are important to you, but below are some points you may wish to include:
- Address them by their formal title, if applicable (e.g. Mayor XX or Board Member XX)
- State how long you’ve been a resident in this community, and if you are active in the community describe your involvement.
- Thank you for taking the time to read my email. As members of a community we both love, we don’t have to agree on everything. But listening to each other and respecting our differences is important.
- Elected officials have a duty to protect all viewpoints, even those that may make some feel uncomfortable.
- I also recognize that the Clearview Library District is chartered with offering diverse programming to all parts of our community, and understand that not all library services and events must appeal to a majority of residents.
- If no laws are being broken, and no hate is being advocated, then it is up to you as an elected official to protect its freedom and respect its right to seek programming and resources.
- At what point would the influence of town officials end? Does it include limiting access to books and materials that don’t conform to the Town Board’s moral values?
- It is not the role of government to shield the community from objectionable viewpoints, especially when suppressing the rights of others.
Notable Email Addresses
Town of Windsor
Mayor Kristie Melendez
Town of Windsor
Town Board Member, District 2
Town Board Member, District 4
Town Board Member, District 6
Town Board Member, District 1
Town Board Member, District 3
Town Board Member, District 5
Town of Severance
Mayor Don McLeod
Trustee Bruce Florquist
Trustee Tad Stout
Trustee Michelle Duda
Mayor Pro Tem Matthew Gordon
Trustee Zeke Kane
Trustee Frank Baszler
Weld RE-4 School District Board
Greeley Tribune – Letter to the Editor
Regional Executive Editor
Greeley Tribune Publisher