Calling a community leader can have a powerful impact and let them know that you care about an issue. To be most effective:
- Be respectful and courteous
- Have talking points — or your own notes — in front of you when you call to stay focused on the points you want to make
- Let the community leader know that you are an active member of the community
- Be clear that you support the Drag Queen Story Hour, as well as the Clearview Library District, its board of directors and its staff
- Briefly explain why you support it (see suggested talking points below)
- Keep your call brief — not more than three or four minutes.
- Conclude by thanking them for taking your call
Sample phone conversation
Community Leader: Hello?
Caller: Hi [Community Leader’s Name]. My name is [Name] and I wanted to talk to you about the Clearview Library District.
Community Leader: Sure. How can I help you?
Caller: I have been following the Clearview Library District’s Drag Queen Story Hour closely, and I wanted to share with you that I support it. I also wanted to let you know that I support the Clearview Library District, its board of directors and its staff.
Community Leader: Okay, I have heard from a lot of people who are strongly against it.
Caller: I understand and respect it if you do not support the specific content of this program, but I ask that you respect other members of the community who see this program as important. The program also is important because it works to reduce bullying against those who are LGBTQ or are different from what is “normal.” Suicide is the leading cause of death in Colorado for kids ages 10-14, and bullying has been identified as a significant issue in many of them.
Community Leader: I’m afraid that I cannot support this program.
Caller: I understand. I want to thank you for taking the time to take my call. As members of a community we both love, we don’t have to agree on everything. But listening to each other and respecting our differences is important. I realize that the recent Drag Queen Story Hour has generated a lot of controversy, but it is an example of a program that is important to many in our community, including me. I just wanted to let you know that. Thank you again for your time. Have a great day.
Community Leader: Okay. Thank you, too.
Mayor Kristie Melendez
Town of Windsor
Mayor Don McLeod
Town of Severance
Mayor Pro Tem Matthew Gordon
Town of Severance